ATCaster generates an ATSC 3.0-compliant broadcast stream, bringing together signaling and content from a variety of sources to produce the required output.
ATCaster generates the following components of the ATSC3.0 broadcast stream:
- Low Level Signaling (LLS) – ATCaster generates a Service List Table (SLT) that reflects the chosen group and service structures configured for the broadcast stream. ATCaster also includes the following additional tables in the SLS:
- System Time
- Advanced Emergency Alert Table
- Rating Regions Table
- On Screen Message Notification
- Certificate and Signing tables where required to provide a secure service
- Service Level Signaling (SLS) for ROUTE delivery – For services where the AV content is delivered as DASH over ROUTE, ATCaster provides generation and delivery of the following ROUTE SLS tables in the SLS:
- ROUTE User Service Bundle Descripton (USBD)
- DASH Media Presentation Description (MPD)
- Service Transport Session Interface Description (S-TSID)
- HTML Entry pages Location Description (HELD)
- Associated Procedure Description (APD)
- Distribution Window Description (DWD)
- These tables can also be signed where required to provide a secure service
- SLS for MPEG Media Transport Protocol (MMTP) delivery – for services where the AV content is delivered over MMTP, ATCaster provides generation and delivery of the appropriate MMTP tables
- AV content in DASH over ROUTE – ATCaster reads DASH AV content feeds in real time and delivers them within the broadcast stream in ROUTE carousels
- AV content over MMTP – ATCaster reads AV content feeds in real time and delivers them within the broadcast stream using MMTP
- Non Real Time (NRT) content – ATCaster reads and updates file systems in real time and delivers them within the broadcast stream in ROUTE carousels. This mechanism is also used to deliver Electronic Services Guide (ESG) data.
- Application Packages – ATCaster also supports the delivery of applications in packaged format for efficient deployment via a broadcast NRT ROUTE carousel. These applications may optionally be signed where required to provide a secure service.
ATCaster produces UDP output that can be routed to a Scheduler and downstream transmission system for trials and production deployment. S&T reseller UniSoft<link> provides a complete plug and play rack system that provides for live video input and broadcast quality output for trials and production.
For test and lab purposes, ATCaster may be connected to a more compact modulator such as the DekTec DTU-315 to provide a local RF source.
Alternatively, ATCaster output may be captured using tcpdump and the resulting file may be replayed as a reproducible test resource.
ATCaster can be configured via a simple XML configuration file for test and lab usage.
For trials and production deployment, ATCaster provides facilities to update and manage the configuration and the content being played out via a browser-based UI and a REST web interface.
ATCaster may also be deployed in dual redundant configuration for added resilience for production deployments.