ATSC 3.0 introduces a new suite of standards adopting DASH and internet technologies.
ATSC 3.0 Overview
The American Television Standards Committee has released a suite of standards defining an ATSC3.0 digital television system. The DASH and Internet based technologies adopted for the ATSC 3.0 system represent a radical break from the MPEG-2 based ATSC 1.0 standard in order to provide a technological leap forward.
Improvements over ATSC 1.0 delivered by the ATSC 3.0 system include:
- Support for HD and 4K UHD video resolutions over the air
- Immersive audio including Dolby AC-4
- Higher bandwidth in a 6Mhz slot offering more and/or higher quality services
- COFDM modulation giving better coverage for built-up areas and mobile receivers
- Advanced Emergency Alerting
- Delivery of Non-Real Time (NRT) file-based content alongside AV to provide targeted advertising and other enhanced viewing experiences
- Integration with Internet-based AV, file and application delivery to provide an enhanced range of services to the viewer
S&T provides a range of products that support generation and monitoring of ATSC3.0 content for test, trials and production environments: